We have moved

20th October 2010

We have now been in our new home for a week and the move now feels like a bad dream.  Last week, on the Tuesday, we collected the van late afternoon and got straight back to start loading.  One set of neighbours were very helpful with loading the van and another made hot drinks for us.  It took about two and a half hours to load up which wasn’t bad going.  We didn’t rush off as we wanted to say our goodbyes to neighbours but it was good to get on the road.  By the time we got to Sheffield we were feeling tired and decided to get booked into a hotel to rest up.  We were back on the road by about six thirty and at the house at about eight thirty.  One of our new neighbours offered us a cup of coffee which was thankfully received.

At nine the housing officer arrived so we were glad to get into the house to sign up for it.  We were later given vouchers for decorating and to get an electric cooker as we hadn’t been told there wasn’t a gas connection for our cooker.  An immediate neighbour gave us a hand to unload which was a relief.  Afterwards we went off to get a cooker and when we got back Rick had a sleep so I made a start on getting the place straight so that we could at least move around the house.

We were originally going to return the van on the Thursday but Rick decided we may as well get it done after having something to eat.  The journey back down south seemed to take an eternity so it was a relief to get back to the hire firm and into our car.  On the way back we stopped for a MacDonald’s which was a disaster as they got the order wrong then wouldn’t admit they were in the wrong.  Rick dropped his chicken nuggets after eating one so went hungry as he was in a bad mood and refused to eat any of my fries.  I dropped my drink, the fries were a bit too salty and the burger bun was hard.  Later we stopped again so Rick had a MacDonald’s then.

It was a relieve to get back to our new home and go to bed after stopping at Asda to do a shop.  On Thursday and Friday we went out to sort out different things and to get in bits and pieces such as curtain rails.  Since then we have been slowly getting the house straight.  At some point either shelves or book cases will be bought as I can’t get all the books out yet.

We are enjoying being able to walk on the beach though and along the cliffs.  The air is much fresher here and it is a much nicer way of life.


About Philippa

I am married to Rick and we live in a small town in County Durham. We have two dogs, a cat and two budgies. I am also an adoption survivor. In 1981 my son was born and I was then forced to surrender him. It took 23 years and reunion for my to find out that my son's adoption was legally known as a forced adoption and illegal but social workers got away with it because mothers didn't know their rights.
This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s