Broken ankle

3rd February 2012

On the 24th January we round to see a friend and I slipped over outside his front door. I felt such an idiot. Rick took me to the urgent care centre at Bishop Auckland Hospital afterwards. Although my ankle was swollen I could walk on my foot, I could move my toes and the nurse was able to manipulate my foot so he told me I had sprained my ankle. By the 1st February my foot was badly bruised and I was still in a lot of pain so we went back to the hospital. This time I had my foot x-rayed and was told I had broken a bone in my foot so had my foot and leg strapped up. An appointment was made at the Darlington Memorial Hospital for the fracture clinic yesterday. I was also given a pair of crutches so I can get around home without putting any weight on my foot. We have also borrowed a wheelchair from the Red Cross so I can get out as I’ve been advised not to walk too far.

Yesterday morning was extremely boring. Transport had been arranged for me so I was at the hospital half an hour early for my appointment. It turns out I have actually broken a bone in my ankle and the doctor told me he could see an old injury to my ankle from the x-ray. After I had a plaster cast put on I had my foot and ankle x=rayed again but one of the x-rays wasn’t at the tight ankle so I had to go back for another one. Eventually I got back to see the doctor who told me I would have the plaster on for six weeks and to keep using the crutches and wheelchair.

It is going to drive me mad having limited mobility nor do I like being reliant on other people. I’m already fed up of asking Rick to put washing out that’s been in the washing machine for three days and probably smells by now. I have also got a pile of ironing to do in the bedroom which I’m still waiting for Rick to take into the lounge so I can get on with it. Yesterday was Rick’s birthday and was taken out for coffee by a friend which was better than nothing.


About Philippa

I am married to Rick and we live in a small town in County Durham. We have two dogs, a cat and two budgies. I am also an adoption survivor. In 1981 my son was born and I was then forced to surrender him. It took 23 years and reunion for my to find out that my son's adoption was legally known as a forced adoption and illegal but social workers got away with it because mothers didn't know their rights.
This entry was posted in Adoption. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s